During the 1980’s there was nothing bigger than The FA Cup. The third round in January did, and still does, create David v Goliath matches. We remember the 1988/89 upset which Sutton United caused against the then holders, Coventry City.
This weekend we head to The Coventry Building Society Arena to watch the 3rd round tie Coventry City v Oxford United as we watch two teams with a big history from this competition in the 80’s compete against each other.
Coventry City FA Cup History
Coventry City have a rich history in the FA Cup from the 1980’s. They reached the FA Cup final in the 1980-1981 season but were defeated by Tottenham Hotspur in a replay after the initial match ended in a 1-1 draw.
Then, one of the most significant moments in Coventry City’s history came in the 1986-1987 season when they won the FA Cup. They defeated Tottenham Hotspur 3-2 in the final, with Keith Houchen’s diving header being one of the most memorable goals in FA Cup history.
Oxford United FA Cup History
Oxford United gained national prominence in the 1985-1986 season when they were dubbed the “Giant Killers.” Managed by Jim Smith, the team defeated top-flight clubs such as Arsenal and Queens Park Rangers on their way to reaching the quarterfinals of the FA Cup.
Oxford United had a remarkable FA Cup run in the 1985-1986 season, reaching the final against Queens Park Rangers. Unfortunately, they were defeated 3-0 in the final at Wembley Stadium.
The FA Cup Finals of the 1980’s
Here is a full breakdown of the FA Cup Finals in the 1980’s including that famous 1987 win for Coventry City.
- 1980 – West Ham United: West Ham defeated Arsenal 1-0 in a replay after the initial match ended in a 1-1 draw.
- 1981 – Tottenham Hotspur: Tottenham Hotspur won the FA Cup by beating Manchester City 3-2 in a replay following a 1-1 draw in the first match.
- 1982 – Tottenham Hotspur: Spurs won the FA Cup for the second consecutive year, defeating Queens Park Rangers 1-0 in a replay.
- 1983 – Manchester United: Manchester United emerged victorious by defeating Brighton & Hove Albion 4-0 in a replay after a 2-2 draw in the first match.
- 1984 – Everton: Everton won the FA Cup by defeating Watford 2-0.
- 1985 – Manchester United: Manchester United secured their second FA Cup title in the 1980s, defeating Everton 1-0.
- 1986 – Liverpool: Liverpool won the FA Cup by overcoming Everton 3-1 in the final.
- 1987 – Coventry City: Coventry City won their first FA Cup by beating Tottenham Hotspur 3-2 in a thrilling final.
- 1988 – Wimbledon: Wimbledon caused a major upset by defeating Liverpool 1-0 in the final.
- 1989 – Liverpool: Liverpool reclaimed the FA Cup by defeating Everton 3-2 in an extra-time thriller.
These victories marked significant moments in the history of the FA Cup during the 1980s, with various teams experiencing success and memorable moments in the prestigious competition.